Rotary Club of Hout Bay has partnered with Jonga Trust, a specialist eye-testing NGO to provide vision screening and testing for over 1400 primary school children in five Hout Bay primary schools, and 300 learners from Silikamva and Hout Bay High Schools.
Those identified by the screeners as having possible vision problems are immediately examined at the school by an optometrist. Children can choose from a range of attractive frames and a few weeks later, the spectacles are delivered to the learners at no cost to the parents or the schools. 378 learners received spectacles in 2023. Since the start of this programme in 2019, over 650 children have received new spectacles.
Children who cannot see, cannot learn. With their spectacles these children now have an improved opportunity to get the education they need to rise above their circumstances. For some, it is life changing to now be able to see clearly beyond a few metres. The smiles on the learners’ faces when they realise what they can see through their new spectacles tells it all.
We are grateful for the support of our many 2022-23 sponsors, including Rotary Clubs from:
- Herzogtum Lauenburg Mölln (Germany)
- Geesthacht-Hohes Elbufer (Germany)
- Festival City Stratford (Canada)
- Grand Bend (Canada)
- Mitchell (Canada)
- Scarborough (Canada)
- Denville (USA)
Student Support Scheme
2024 APPLICATIONS OPEN !
We assist South African learners from the Hout Bay townships to study at university and colleges by providing individual mentorship, developmental workshops and financial support where not provided by Government.
This scheme was started over ten years ago and now supports 15 university/college students and has over 21 alumni. We have already helped students gain qualifications in Radiography, Accountancy, Farming, Human Resources, Chemistry, Marine Science and many others.
2024 Application Process
- Who is Eligible to Apply? – The Student Support Scheme is open to South African citizens who live or study in Hout Bay. Students should have applied for or be attending courses at Public colleges and universities and have applied for and are eligible for NSFAS.
- What is the Student Support Scheme? – The transition from school to college or university is challenging and the Rotary Student Support Scheme provides support during this period, through your college life, to finding a job on completion. Please note this is not a Bursary as the Government through NSFAS pays fees, accommodation, travel and subsistence. The Student Support Scheme provides:
- An individual mentor to support you through your journey
- Regular developmental workshops
- Support from our student and alumni network
- A laptop for your studies
- Top up allowances for items not covered by NSFAS
- The Rotary Club of Hout Bay Student Support Scheme is in its 11th year with over 40 students and alumni studying/qualified in a huge range of subjects including Medicine, Accountancy, Teaching, Human Resources, Entrepreneurship, Radiography, Retail Management, Pharmacy, Marine Biology, Financial Management and Chemistry. Many of our students and alumni mentor learners and give back to our local community as Rotaractors.
- How to Apply?
Click here to apply. CLOSING DATE 27thNOVEMBER 2023
- Interviews will be held in the week after Matric finishes
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited with their parent/guardian to a workshop just prior to Matric results
- Successful candidates will be chosen once the Matric results have been announced and university or college places have been accepted.
Any queries should be addressed to Mrs Alison Bull email: email@example.com
Rotary Club of Hout Bay has partnered with the Thata Ithuba organisation to improve the maths outcomes in Hout Bay schools though several key initiatives, including:
- 1NumberSense programme of Maths Workbooks are being tested at Hout Bay Primary. These are designed to help children gain an understanding of fundamental mathematical principles and raise the numeracy skills of learners in Grades 1-3.
- 2An additional FET Mathematics teacher has been sponsored at Silikamva High School
- 3Game Changer Tutoring Programme to provide additional maths coaching and preparation for examinations for selected learners. Members of Hout Bay Rotaract Club help provide the coaching.
These high school initiatives aim to raise the level of competency in mathematics from Grades 8-12 and equip learners with the maths skills required for employment and for further study at the tertiary level.
Rotary Club of Hout Bay arranges for E’Pap porridge to be supplied to over 700 young children in crèches in Hangberg and Imizamo Yethu (Hout Bay) providing nourishment and a healthy start to their day.
The key criteria in e’Pap’s formulation is that nutrients are in a form that the human body can effectively absorb and use. A single bowl of porridge has zinc, iron, Vitamin D and 25 other essential nutrients. For more information on e’Pap, visit epapfoundation.org.
Youth Service Clubs
EarlyAct is a school-based service club for primary school students. Interact is high-school based.
Rotary Club of Hout Bay sponsors and supports EarlyAct clubs at Sentinel Primary and Disa Primary and Interact Clubs at Silikamva HS and Hout Bay High.
Rotaract Club of Hout Bay brings together young adults ages 18 and older to work side-by side contributing to their communities. Rotaract members run their own club, manage their own funds and carry out their own activities and service projects. Rotary Club of Hout Bay offers guidance and partnership in service projects.